BREAKING CHANGES IN VERSION 3.
If you're existing user of BaccS version 2, please carefully read this article before updating to version 3.
If regular update never requires from you to take any actions - you simply install it and continue working - then version 3 contains a number of breaking changes which require your careful attention. I tried to make update process as smooth as possible, but not all things can be done automatically. In this article you will learn the most important points needed to consider before moving from version 2 to version 3.
Both versions can be installed in parallel. So, you can install version 3 side by side with version 2, which grants smooth transition. It is recommended to ‘test-drive’ new before fully switching to it.
New version was almost rewritten from scratch. Reasons of switching to the new platform are described in the announcement. At the same time, BaccS has the same database structure, reference data lists and operations. But menu structure used to access this data was changed. Instead of ribbon menu, all data is accessed through navigation menu on the left. It also has few sections, such as ‘Reference data’, ‘Workspace’, ‘Reports’, etc. So, everything was moved from the ribbon to this navigation tree. At the same time, ribbon menu is there too, but it contains only commands (buttons which trigger some operations), like creation or deleting of entries, printing invoices, etc.
To move your data to the new version, please do the following:
- Launch BaccS version 2, open program Settings and click Export to version 3 button.
- Close previous version and launch version 3.
- Again, open Settings and click Import data from json file.
- Select exported file, wait a little (no more than a minute) and restart the program.
- Your data must be there!
Previously it was possible to select program font size right in the ribbon menu. This behavior is changed now. In addition to font size, it is now possible to select font family from any of fonts installed on your system. Both settings can be found in the program Settings, in the Application settings tab.
This is the most important breaking change in version 3. If you have custom invoice templates, they won’t be working with version 3. However, it is not too difficult to adopt them. In case of any difficulties, please send your old templates to BaccS developer and in a day or two you’ll get corrected template available to use with version 3.
Previously, templates were stored in the BaccS installation folder. Now they are stored in the database itself. To check built-in templates, click on Reports - Reports in the navigation tree. There you’ll find all templates - printing forms of invoices, quotes, purchase orders, credit notes, along with other additional reports. Second column (Is inplace report) signals that some report is attached to some document. Last column (Data type) specifies the type of this document. If data type is empty, then this is a custom reports, otherwise this is a template for one of the documents.
To create custom template, copy one of predefined invoice templates, give some name to it, save, and open in the designer. In the displayed designer (which you’re already familiar with) click on Report tasks button and select Import layout from file. In the displayed dialog select your old invoice template. After template will be loaded, it will be required to complete the following actions to correct the template:
1. Switch to field list and delete efDataSource1:
2. From the toolbox, add CollectionDataSource element from the XAF Data source to the report.
Select collectionDataSource1 in the Field list and adjust its properties:
3. Add another CollectionDataSource and adjust its properties:
4. Open Report tasks menu and erase filter string:
5. Select each label on the report template and correct its binding to the field from the new database. This is the most challenging task. Try to orient to the old value and select corresponding new value from the field list. For example, let’s take Invoice number field. Here is how it looks before correction:
6. Expand Invoice data source and find Number field. Drag it over Invoice number label:
There are about 25-30 fields needed to be corrected in a described way. To speed up this process, open Report tasks menu and select Edit bindings. You will see a list of all fields in the template needed to be corrected. Wrong fields are marked with the corresponding symbol. Select correct values in the Target binding column. Here is an example of corrections for the first invoice template:
7. The whole process took me about 3-5 minutes. Use this screenshot as a guide.
8. Open helper menu for the DetailPaymentMethods section. Select PaymentMethods in the DataMember field and clear Filter string field: 9. Save corrected invoice template. From now, it will be available under Print button in the invoice list, and in the Default invoice template field in the Settings window:
All your conditional formatting settings, made in version 2, will be lost during switching to version 2. The reason of such behavior is changed internal structure of conditional formatting settings. Please, check this article describing improvements in the conditional formatting functionality. As you see, now it is possible to highlight not only rows and cells in tables, but also fields in the editing forms. From the first point of view, new structure is more complex, but after getting familiar with the new functionality you’ll find it much more useful. In addition, BaccS now supplied with a set of predefined conditional formatting rules. Maybe you’ll like them more than your previous settings.
Version 3 has only one language - English. But this is temporary. Soon all languages will be transferred from version 2 to version 3. Also, you can localize BaccS into any language you like. Please check details in the How to participate in BaccS
That’s all. Sorry for any inconveniences linked with transitioning to the new version. This is first and last time when such things happen. The only reason of this is a new, much improved and faster platform, and no similar switches are planned in the future.